Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Church Service

Kids at the Adventist Church
Sitting on our 3rd floor balcony we can hear the Muslim call to prayer and church bells ringing.  There had been a lot of activity at a church about a block from the apartment.  So, Sunday morning I walked down to see what kind of church it was.   It was a 7th Day Adventist church.  There as music playing and bells ringing.  The church yard was filled with people.

7th Day Adventists worship on Saturday so this must have been a special celebration that was taking place.  A man approached me and said one word, “Welcome” and motioned me into the church yard.  I was carrying my camera which was spotted by dozens of children. Immediately I was surrounded by kids pointing and wanting their pictures taken.  I asked for permission of a woman who spoke English.  This was granted.  I dropped to my knees in the dirt and could have touched 25 kids without really stretching out my arms.  I snapped off a few pictures of different groups and then the woman announced, “Enough!”  Picture taking was.

As I was walking out I was approached by another man who asked me, in English, where I lived.  He wanted to practice his English so we had a lengthy conversation.  He explained that there was going to be a wedding in a few minutes and I was invited to stay.  The congregation had just finished a week-long Feast of the Tabernacles event.  People had been camping in the church yard.  I can’t quite imagine what it would take to get most North Americans to spend an entire week at church.

I didn’t attend the wedding but was struck by the genuine warmth and welcome I felt even though we could barely communicate. 

No comments:

Post a Comment